I've been really struggling with the decision to cut Elyse's hair for the first time. It was an emotional decision for me. In a way, I saw it as cutting off the last little remaining piece of baby. That's the hair that was on her tiny head the day she was born, the hair that felt like pure silk. I remember when our family came to see Elyse for the first time on the day she was born, I was holding her in my arms and my mom gently lifted the edge of her striped hospital cap to peak at her hair. Everyone was surprised to see her tiny golden curls.
So many people have told me to enjoy her curls while they last, saying that once you cut their hair, the baby curls will disappear. Elyse's curls are her, a little bit wild and unruly, always soft and sweet. I just can't imagine her without them.
After two years of everyone asking when we are going to cut her hair and a lot of back and forth in my head, I decided to trim it myself after her bath. I'm not going to lie, I was shaking. I felt confident that I could do it until Bryan, my dad and sister made me question my skills... or lack there of. Even Elyse said, "Scissors are only for cutting paper, Mommy!" I really considered backing out and not getting her hair cut at all, but lately it has been so difficult to brush and has gotten scraggly at the ends.
Her hair didn't look very long when it was dry and curly but when it was wet and brushed straight, it touched the waist band of her pants.
Bryn stayed right in the middle of everything.
Tears
We had a little bit of a rough start. No, she wasn't crying because she was afraid of the damage I might do to her gorgeous hair. She was being very wiggly and Daddy told her (sternly) to stay still. She's a sensitive child.
Whew... all finished! It was starting to curl at the ends but I promise it was straight!
And look, curls! They haven't disappeared yet.
When I put Elyse in bed she said, "Thank you for cutting off my tangles, Mommy."
The soft and sweet.
No comments:
Post a Comment